Accountant 2 - Physics and Astronomy - req# 17830
|Working Title||Accountant 2 - Physics and Astronomy|
The Department of Physics and Astronomy in UNM’s College of Arts and Sciences is a complex, multi-faceted department with several centers. We are offering an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated individual who enjoys a fast-paced and challenging work environment. We have a strong team and a culture of collegiality.
The successful applicant must be detail-oriented with excellent multi-tasking, communication, and organizational skills. They will adhere to generally accepted accounting principles, applicable local, state, and federal regulations, as well as UNM policies and procedures. They will work closely with the department administrator and will have a high degree of interaction with a diverse faculty and staff, which requires strong communication and problem solving skills. They may supervise lower-graded staff and/or student employees. This individual must be organized with excellent analytical ability and computer skills to contribute to the success of the department.
This individual will be responsible for:
· Management of the department’s Excel-based shadow system
· Monitoring and reviewing of restricted and unrestricted accounts, including monthly account reconciliations
· Working with the department’s administrative staff, UNM staff, and faculty on restricted and unrestricted funds, including budgeting, tracking, analyzing, and projections
· Performing routine and advanced multifaceted accounting and related functions
· Processing routine financial documents and fund transactions, reconciling financial records, and analyzing routine financial data
· Assisting in the development, coordination, and maintenance of department budgets, as appropriate
· Overseeing payroll reconciliations for the department
· Analyzing and interpreting complex financial data; preparing management/ad hoc reports, financial statements, and projections
· Other duties within the scope of the position description as required
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 12 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· BA in Accounting/Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field
· Experience in Banner or another similar computer-based accounting system
· Knowledge and experience in developing and monitoring budgets
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
· Knowledge of restricted and unrestricted accounting
· Ability to prioritize tasks
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
· Ability to work with a diverse group of people
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Physics Astronomy Department (707A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$3,199.73 - $4,416.67 per month|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/17/2021|
Only applications submitted throughthe official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this jobadvertisement on a 3rd party site, pleasevisit UNMJobs to submit an application.Please upload the following:* A cover letter that addresses how your qualifications and experience match the preferred qualifications * A resume that includes a complete work history, including beginning and end dates for each position and details of the duties and responsibilities performed * The names and contact information for at least three supervisory references - please include this information on your cover letter, resume, or in a separate file; be sure to indicate whether it is okay to contact your current supervisor
The University of New Mexico has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for UNM students and employees. For detailed information, visit https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.html
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.