Accountant 2 - req# 10308
|Working Title||Accountant 2|
The Office of the Provost and EVP for Academic Affairs is a complex, multi-faceted unit, which is responsible for all aspects of the academic mission, including research, instruction and academic personnel. The Academic Affairs Fiscal Shared Service Center serves schools, colleges, and vice president units on all fiscal matters, which include account reconciliation, budget planning, fiscal analysis, developing multi-year forecasts, purchasing, fiscal transactional processing and strategic planning. Our office is seeking an accountant that enjoys a fast paced, challenging work environment with the willingness to learn. The primary duties and responsibilities for this position include:
· Analyzes and monitors revenue and expenses for departmental or unit accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures
· Advises and interprets policies to faculty, staff, and outside persons such as vendors, funding source representatives, and unit leadership; which include frequent meetings with constituents to strategize fiscally on the units behalf
· Works closely with accounting interns to generate expenditure, personnel, fiscal and purchasing transactions, which include reviewing and approving transactions for accuracy and compliance with University policies and procedures
· Budget monitoring and development, and annual fiscal reporting
· Fiscal analysis and strategic planning with unit/s within the scope of the position
· Work closely with the director on Institutional-wide fiscal reporting and analysis for Academic Affairs
· Provide guidance and training to transactional processing staff and accounting interns
This individual must demonstrate excellent customer service skills and have the ability to provide support to the current fiscal staff in the service center and the units the center serves. This individual should have experience working in an academic unit setting and be very familiar with not only UNM fiscal policies and procedures, but also academic related policies and procedures. This position will report to the Director of Financial Operations for Academic Affairs and work closely with the fiscal staff in the center and academic and administrators in various units across campus.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 12 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Provost Office Staff (688A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||8/30/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please attach a current resume, a cover letter expressing interest in and qualifications for the position described, and 3 professional references|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.