Accountant 2 - req# 27381
|Working Title||Accountant 2|
The UNM School of Engineering Gerald May Department of Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering seeks an individual with a strong accounting background and sponsored research experience to join our diverse team and complex department. The preferred candidate will be a self-motivated, detail-oriented, results-driven professional. This position requires strong interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills as the Accountant 2 position interacts with staff, faculty, students, and leadership of all levels.
This Accountant 2 is responsible for various accounting duties and responsibilities, including monitoring sponsored projects and timely reviewing and approving departmental transactions on funded projects. This position also specializes in preparing and reviewing budgets and expenditures for compliance with UNM policies and sponsor requirements. This includes monthly reconciliation of indices, preparing and updating monthly financial statements, attending monthly financial meetings, compiling data, researching/resolving issues using Banner Finance, organizing financial data and developing budgets, and tracking operating ledger data to monitor trends. The Accountant 2 is responsible for the timely review and approval of department transactions such as PCard reconciliations, reimbursements, and requisitions, understanding and answering questions regarding allowable purchasing and reimbursements, and reviewing PCard statements to ensure compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Enforce and provide guidance on policies and procedures required for contract administration and center operations
· Prepare and enter financial data within budget and salary planner
· Provides guidance, supervision, and oversight of staff fiscal activities
· Attend University trainings and meetings to provide input and solve problems for faculty and staff
· Creating status of indices worksheet
· Setting up shared files for monitoring of project life cycle
· Correspond with external departments and collaborators
· Maintaining forecasting tools
· Monitor and maintain appropriate funding levels
· Gather financial data per funding agency requests
· Review audit inquiries and prepare responses
· Prepare journal vouchers, budget, and correcting entries
· Prepare internal budget revisions and 90-day memos
· Prepare faculty and staff salary allocations and redistributions
· Undergraduate and graduate student contract submissions and revisions
· Execute pre-award activities
· Supports the development of all financial documents required for proposal submissions including on advising on best practices for cost categories
· Work with and prepare budgets for faculty for contract and grant proposal submissions
· Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal funding agency guidelines and regulations
· Identify issues in advance for contract negotiations to minimize any negative impact
· Financial point of contact for UNM OSP review appointments
· Contract & Grant Award set-up
· Reviews fully executed agreement(s) for exclusions and limitations
· Preparing award budget sheet for index creation
· Evaluating costs for allowability, allocability, and reasonableness per CFR 200
· Review procurement requests for adherence to University’s policies and procedures
· Compile supporting documentation for invoicing
· Process complex procurement requests
· Award closeout
· Adherence to agency deadlines and requests for extensions
· Reconcile direct and indirect costs
· Ensure cost share commitments are met
· Process final closeout documents
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 12 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· 3+ years accounting experience and demonstrated ability in creating budgets and monitoring/analyzing fiscal operations
· Budget Development and financial reporting
· Banner Finance/Budget/Salary Planner or similar operating ledger/financial systems
· Experience working in UNM systems including: MyReports, Banner Finance, WorkFlow, LoboMart, Effort Certifications System, EPAFs,
· Budget Planner, Salary Planner, and Budget Categorization System
· Analyzing and interpreting financial operations
· Oversight of unrestricted and foundation accounts
· Knowledge of Restricted accounting and experience with post award fiscal management. Experience with contract/grant pre-award budgeting and award submission process.
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Civil Construction & Env Engrr (456A)|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||Monthly: $3,589.73 - $5040.53|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||As a condition of employment, eligible employees working greater than .25 FTE as determined by the New Mexico Education Retirement Act must make mandatory retirement contributions. For more information, review the Benefits Eligibility at a Glance grid.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/20/2023|
Only applications submitted throughthe official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this jobadvertisement on a 3rd party site, pleasevisit UNMJobs to submit an application.Attach resume and cover letter. Applicants must also provide names of 3 past or present supervisors as references that the hiring official can contact. Finalists should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire.
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
The University of New Mexico requires all regular staff positions successfully pass a pre-employment background check. This may include, but is not limited to, a criminal history background check, New Mexico Department of Health fingerprint screening, New Mexico Children, Youth, and Families Department fingerprint screening, verification of education credentials, and/or verification of prior employment. For more information about background checks, visit https://policy.unm.edu/university-policies/3000/3280.html. Refer to https://policy.unm.edu/university-policies/3000/3200.html for a definition of Regular Staff.