Assistant Professor | Architecture - req# 7376
Assistant Professor | Architecture
|Hiring Department||SAAP Architecture Program (515C)|
|Academic Location||School of Architecture and Planning|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
University of New Mexico
School of Architecture + Planning, Department of Architecture
Assistant Professor of Architecture
The UNM Architecture Department seeks applicants for a tenure track Assistant Professor of Architecture. Candidates should submit their application by January 31, 2019 for best consideration. The position will remain open until filled. The appointment commences August 15, 2019.
The successful candidate will teach graduate and undergraduate design studios, as well as a building technology course, and a seminar related to their scholarly interests.
We seek applicants that have a demonstrated capacity for critical inquiry into architectural design and architectural technology issues as they apply to changing global conditions regarding culture, climate, society and technology. We seek applicants that either have an emerging record of excellence in teaching and in their scholarly research agenda.
UNM is New Mexico’s flagship research institution, and the largest university in the state. Founded in 1889, UNM offers bachelors, masters, doctoral and professional degree programs in a wide variety of fields. UNM is categorized as a Research 1 / RU/VH Research University (very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, with three Nobel laureates affiliated or associated, two MacArthur Fellows, and in excess of 35 Fulbright Scholars. A diverse university with a wide variety of cultures and ethnicities represented among the faculty, staff and students, it is also a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) as defined by the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities.
The Department of Architecture offers a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, with three concentrations: Pre-Professional Architecture; Design Studies and Landscape Architecture. We also offer a professionally accredited Master of Architecture degree, as well as a non-professional Master of Science in Architecture degree with two research-oriented concentrations: Computational Ecologies and Public Health & the Built Environment.
Other degree programs in the School include the Master of Community & Regional Planning and Master of Landscape Architecture. The two graduate certificate programs are Historic Preservation and Regionalism, as well as Urban Innovation.
The Department of Architecture has a strong reputation for providing a quality education, focusing on relevant 21st century issues. The US Department of Education’s College Scorecard ranks UNM Architecture #3 for affordability in the U.S. among universities that have architecture bachelors and / or masters degree programs. It is currently ranked #22 in the U.S. by the StartClass ranking.
The Department of Architecture is housed in the award-winning George Pearl Hall, designed by architect Antoine Predock, a former UNM student and professor. In addition to the spacious, naturally-lit design studio spaces, the building has the latest design and fabrication tools, including various methods of digital fabrication and other modes of making.
New Mexico has a rich and varied culture, and qualified candidates from all underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico, is located along the Rio Grande adjacent to the Sandia Mountains. A high desert city, the climate is mild most of the year. One can participate in a full range of outdoor activities year round. http://www.visitalbuquerque.org/media/top-rankings/.
To submit an application, please visit website: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ and reference Posting Number req7376.
1) Professional Architecture Degree: Master or Doctor of Architecture in the U.S., or a professional Architecture degree from another country; or a terminal degree in building sciences, architectural engineering, or closely related fields, as measured in CV, statement of interest; transcript; documentation of a professional degree from other country, International degrees will be confirmed through documents;
2) Minimum one year of teaching experience (consisting of at least two courses, one of them a design studio) as measured in CV, statement of interest, portfolio, examples of student work;
3) Minimum one year of work experience in an architecture firm; as measured in CV, letter of interest, references;
1) Professional Licensure in Architecture (in the U.S. or abroad) as measured from CV, statement of interest, copy of an NCARB Certificate or other forms of documentation regarding licensure.
2) Ability to teach a graduate level integrative design studio, and to teach building technology to Master of Architecture students, as measured in CV, letter of interest, portfolio, references, examples of student work;
3) Evidence of architectural scholarship; as measured in CV, statement of interest, and examples of scholarship such as publications, design competitions, participation in professional architectural projects that have been recognized, community engaged scholarship, and various forms of creative work, research proposals, funded research, recognition for design individual work, exhibits, etc.;
4) A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success as well as working with broadly diverse communities, as measured on CV, or other evidence such as the statement of interest, interviews, letters of reference, references;
5) Two years of teaching (consisting of at least two design studios and a building technology course): building technology topics can include material integration, high performance building analysis, construction, structures, energy analysis, environmental impact, and other related topics, as measured in the CV, letters of recommendation, syllabi, and course evaluations. Candidates are encouraged to provide a teaching portfolio if available;
6) PhD degree in Architecture or a closely related field, as measured in CV, statement of interest, transcript;
7) Two to five years of experience working on architectural projects in an architecture firm as found in CV, and other documentation such as the statement of interest, interviews, portfolio, letters of recommendation, references;
8) Collegiality, as measured in evidence of ability to work cordially and cooperatively with colleagues and students as indicated in letters of recommendation, references, interview.9) Experience with BIM software and relevant emerging technologies, as measured in CV, letter of interest, references, portfolio.
|Application Instructions||Application Requirements: Applicants are required to submit through UNMJobs the following: 1) a 1-2 page letter of interest stating specific teaching and professional interests; 2) curriculum vitae; 3) the name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of four references. 4) In addition, applicants are required to submit a portfolio of design work or include a link to a website. Samples of publications or other forms of scholarly work are also requested. Additional information and an expanded portfolio may be requested of semi-finalist candidates.Applicants who are appointed to a UNM continuing faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM. UNM’s confidentiality policy "Disclosure of Information about Candidates for Employment," UNM Board of Regents’ Policy Manual 6.7, which includes information about public disclosure of documents submitted by applicants, is located at http://www.unm.edu/~brpm/r67.htm. EEO/AA |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 1/31/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.