Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication - req# 10541
Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication
|Hiring Department||Communication Journalism (839A)|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
|Position Summary||TheDepartment of Communication & Journalism at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication for the 2020-2021academic year, starting August 2020. |
TheDepartment offers undergraduate majors in multimedia journalism, strategiccommunication, and communication studies; an M.A program in communicationstudies; and a Ph.D. program with emphases in media studies, interculturalcommunication, and health communication. The department seeks candidateswhose scholarly/creative activity will contribute to our graduate emphases and whose teaching and/or professionalexperience can provide our undergraduate students with the theoreticalunderstanding and practical experience and skills necessary to engage with thepractices of strategic communication across multiple platforms.
Facultymembers in this position typically teach two courses per semester at thegraduate, advanced undergraduate, and introductory undergraduate levels, with thepossibility to teach in their areas of specialization. They will also beexpected to advise graduate students (M.A./Ph.D.), maintain an active research and/orcreative agenda related to the Communication discipline, andperform departmental, university, and disciplinary service.
|Qualifications||Minimum Qualifications: |
- Doctorate in Mass Communication or closely related field, completed by start date of appointment.
- Two years (minimum) of relevant professional experience in strategic communication, public relations, advertising, marketing, digital/social media, or graphic design.
- Strong record of scholarly and/or creative activity showing potential to lead to tenure and promotion to the rank of associate professor.
- Record of teaching effectiveness, with experience and interest in teaching undergraduate courses in field comprising strategic communication, including all or some of the following: advertising, public relations, digital/social media, and marketing as an integrated discipline.
- Ability to teach graduate-level quantitative methods courses.
- Demonstrated departmental, institutional, and/or disciplinary service.
- Record of active involvement in professional scholarly and/or industry associations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
|Application Instructions||A complete application consists of: (1) letter of interest identifying areas of expertise, research interests, and teaching experience; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) a sample of a recent, representative publication or conference paper; (4) evidence of teaching effectiveness in the form of recent student course evaluations and teaching observations-or, in the absence of teaching experience, a statement of teaching interest and philosophy; (5) statement on diversity and inclusive excellence; and (6) names and contact information of three references. Only complete applications will be considered. References may be contacted as the search progresses. For complete details, and to apply, please visit this website: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ and reference posting number For best consideration, please apply by Friday, October 4, 2019. The position will remain open until filled. For more information, contact Dr. Judith White, Strategic Communication Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 10/4/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.