Assistant Professor: Special Education Learning Disabilities/Teacher Preparation - req# 6541
Assistant Professor: Special Education Learning Disabilities/Teacher Preparation
|Hiring Department||Department of Special Education (971A)|
|Academic Location||College of Education|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
The University of New Mexico, College of Education, Department of Special Education, invites applications for an Assistant Professor faculty position in Special Education, with experience and expertise in Learning Disabilities and Teacher Preparation.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses and conduct scholarly work related to Learning Disabilities and Teacher preparation in the Special Education Department. The new faculty member will collaborate with colleagues and be a part of the cutting edge Special Education Department. In addition, the successful candidate will advise undergraduate and graduate students, serve on certificate and dissertation committees, and maintain an active research agenda. The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to diversity through their teaching, research, and service. Successful candidates must be committed to working with broadly diverse student and community populations.
1) Doctorate in Special Education or closely related field by August 2019
2) Minimum three years’ experience teaching students with learning disabilities.
1. Robust and current formal academic preparation in learning disabilities and teacher preparation, as well as working with individuals from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
2. Thorough formal preparation and current involvement in research activities, such that the successful candidate will be able to establish an agenda of active research in the area of learning disabilities and teacher preparation.
3. Excellence in implementation of evidence-based accommodations and modifications for students with disabilities across educational settings, including experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
4. Excellence or potential for excellence in teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the area of learning disabilities.
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
6. A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
|Application Instructions||A complete application will include:1)A signed letter of application, including statement of qualifications in relation to the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications. Because the University is committed to a broadly diverse educational environment that fosters multicultural skills, applicants should include in their cover letter information about how they will further this objective.2)A complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae,3)Transcripts of all graduate coursework (readable, unofficial copies will be accepted),4)The names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references,5)One professional publication or presentation. |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 11/25/2018. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.