Bioinformatics Technician - req# 5838
Research Scientist 2
|Working Title||Bioinformatics Technician|
The University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center is the Official Cancer Center of New Mexico and the only National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in a 500-mile radius. One of the premier cancer centers nationwide, the UNM CCC has more than 125 board-certified oncology physicians, forming New Mexico’s largest cancer care team. It treats about 60 percent of adults and virtually all the children in New Mexico diagnosed with cancer - more than 10,000 people- from every county in the state in more than 135,000 clinic visits each year. Through its partnership with the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance, an "exemplary national model for cancer health care delivery," the UNM CCC offers access to more than 175 clinical trials to New Mexicans in every part of the state. Annual research funding of almost $60 million supports the UNM CCC’s 130 cancer scientists. Working with partners at Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, and New Mexico State University, they have developed new diagnostics and drugs for leukemia, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, liver and pancreatic cancer, brain cancer, and melanoma. Learn more at www.cancer.unm.edu.
Bioinformatics Shared Resources of University of New Mexico, Comprehensive Cancer Center is hiring a bioinformatician. The bioinformatician will be focusing on analyzing large volume of genomic data on a daily basis and developing novel bioinformatics methodology.
· Must be motivated, willing to learn new skills.
· Masters degree in computer science, bioinformatics or related fields
· Skilled with Linux commands, installation of new tools, shell script, etc
· Skilled with programming languages in general, proficiencies in Phython and R are required
· Experience with GATK pipeline, somatic mutation (MuTect) calling
· Experience with RNA-seq analysis pipeline, Tophat, Cufflinks, Star, DESeq, etc
· Experience with R programming and basic statistics: figure generating, statistical tests, regression models, etc
· Must exhibit excellent communication skills
· Ability to explore new bioinformatics tools in Linux or Windows environment
· Ability to multi-task
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Experience with website development (MS-SQL with ASP.net)
· Experience with epigenetics analysis such as methylation
· Experience with Mass-Spectrometry data analysis
· Experience with other format of sequencing analysis such as microbiome (16S) sequencing analysis, ChiP-Seq, etc.
· Familiar with pathway and enrichment analyses
· Basic knowledge in human genetics
· Ability to perform bioinformatics tool development, writing and organizing object oriented code into package, and writing instruction and vignette
|Additional Requirements||Finalists should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire. |
Applicants must provide names of 3 past or present supervisors as references that the hiring official can contact.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||1 year from date of hire|
|Pay||$2,986.30 - $4,478.93|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||7/30/2018|
|Application Instructions||APPLICANT: Please complete the official application; making sure to include all prior work experience and average hours worked per week. Attach your Current Resume; listing three former or current Supervisor References. Attach your Cover Letter that details how your experience matches the position as described above; including any Preferred Qualifications.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.