Community Health Worker - req# 9308
Community Health Worker
|Working Title||Community Health Worker|
The UNM Health Science Center, Office for Community Health seeks a Part-Time Community Health Worker to work on various projects in the Emergency Department or primary care clinics; community-based organizations and on campus-based research projects
Under indirect supervision, the Community Health Worker will work closely with
· Specific populations (either in the UNM Hospital pediatric / adult emergency department, or mother and baby delivery department)
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Community Health Worker:
1. Assists clients in their homes, community, or clinic setting. Provides support and advocacy during initial medical visit or when necessary to assure clients' medical needs and referrals required are being conveyed. Follows up with both clients and providers regarding health/social services plans.
2. Documents all client encounters and contracts made on behalf of clients; completes and submits monthly reports; maintains comprehensive electronic client files, which include client notes, release of information, assessments and other medical documents acquired on behalf of the client. Documents activities, service plans, and outcomes achieved by client in an effective manner.
3. Assists clients in accessing health related services, including but not limited to: obtaining a medical home, providing instruction on appropriate use of the medical home, overcoming barriers to obtaining needed medical care and /or social services.
This position is subject to working non-traditional work hours.
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Fully bilingual in English and Spanish (written and spoken fluency)
· Experience working with low-income and diverse populations of all ages (Socially, culturally, and socio-economic diverse individuals).
· Experience interviewing clients that have medical, personal, family and/or behavioral problems and helping them navigate healthcare and social service systems.
· Must be able to remain calm under stressful situations, since many of the patients/clients are in pain or going through traumatic events and are, in many cases, experiencing instability in their lives
· Strong knowledge of health and social service resources in Bernalillo County
· Proficient with data entry and word processing, able to write reports and patient notes in English
· Candidates for this position must be eligible for employment as verified by the US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA); Those on the OIG/GSA Exclusion Lists will not be considered for hire. Once hired, periodic checks will be made for eligibility of continued employment.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Community Health Worker Initiatives (195D)|
|Staff Type||Term - Part-Time|
|Term End Date||06/30/2020|
|Pay||$12.38 - $18.57 hourly|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required|
|For Best Consideration Date||6/14/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please provide a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, describe your experience assisting individuals in accessing resources in Bernalillo County.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.