Field Deputy Med Investigator - req# 9385
Field Deputy Med Investigator
|Working Title||Field Deputy Med Investigator|
The New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator is looking for dedicated and talented individuals to conduct death investigations in various counties around the state (outside of Bernalillo county). This is an unusual and exciting learning opportunity that provides a valuable service to your community.
1. Travels to the scene of homicides, suicides, accidental, questionable, and/or unattended deaths as required on behalf of the Office of the Medical Investigator, in accordance with established call schedule.
2. Takes custody of remains in accordance with prescribed protocol and procedure; performs initial on-scene examination of remains; takes photographs and collects information relevant to or related to cause and manner of death.
3. Conducts joint investigations of cause of death in association with law enforcement officials attending the scene.
4. When required, conducts external examinations of bodies and collects body fluids for toxicology testing.
5. Collects data and prepares written reports on death investigations to the central office, in accordance with pre-established policy and procedures, ensuring accuracy and completeness of information.
6. Conducts follow-up investigations as required.
7. Occasionally attends and provides evidence/testimony as required at pre-trial and/or court hearings as may be required in individual cases.
8. Practices appropriate safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
9. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Please note - In order to keep response time to a minimum, applicants must live in the county for which they are hired. We currently do not have any on-call positions available in Bernalillo county. The counties with openings will vary from month to month. Applicants are welcome to contact the department to see which counties have vacancies or applicants can leave an application on file and the department will contact you when there is an opening.
|Conditions of Employment|
High School Diploma or GED; no previous experience required.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Additional Requirements||Medium to heavy physical activity (with assistance). Will work in a death environment with occasional noxious odors. Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training. May on occasion be exposed to potentially dangerous materials and situations that may require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment. Work may, on occasion, involve exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Strong writing skills are essential.|
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Office of the Medical Investigator (389A)|
|Term End Date|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/1/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please include the names and contact information for three references|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.