HS/Associate Scientist 1 - req# 8736
HS/Associate Scientist 1
|Working Title||HS/Associate Scientist 1|
The Department of Neurology at University of New Mexico (UNM) Health Science Center (HSC) is seeking a motivated Associate Scientist to conduct research with Dr. Surojit Paul. The successful applicant will be assisting in research of neuroprotective mechanism in stroke, traumatic brain injury and neuropathic pain.
The duties and responsibility of the HS Research Scientist 1 are as follows but not limited to:
* Expected to work with the PI in the planning, development, and implementation of research projects involving cell culture, molecular biology, biochemical studies, immunostaining, immunoblotting, small animal surgery and animal behavior.
* The successful candidate is expected to learn, design and independently execute research experiments; analyze and evaluate research data; contribute as appropriate to the development of summary reports, presentations, manuscripts associated with original research findings, and grant writings.
Funding for this position has been secured for 3-4 years.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
* Master’s Degree
* Neurosciences background
* Experience in cell and molecular biology
* Animal handling experience
* Some experience with animal behavioral testing
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Neurology Adult (490B)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||02/28/2022|
|Pay||2986.30 - 4478.93|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||4/24/2019|
|Application Instructions||1) Cover Letter detailing your directly related experience 2) Resume 3) List of at least 3 supervisory references|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.