HS/Associate Scientist 2 - req# 10000
HS/Associate Scientist 2
|Working Title||HS/Associate Scientist 2|
This position is to support ongoing research in an active biomedical research laboratory in the Department of Neurosciences. We are looking for a motivated and professional HS Associate Scientist 2. The successful applicant will have a range of duties to ensure the smooth running of a laboratory performing in vitro brain slice experiments, and in vivo recordings from mice. These duties include:
· Participation in planning, development and implementation of experiments related to mechanisms of neuronal injury.
· Performance of imaging and electrophysiological studies in brain slices from rodents
· Preparation of rodents for in vivo imaging and electrophysiological studies
· Analysis, evaluation and interpretation of experimental data
· Contribution to manuscripts, preparation of research grants and reports
· Management of rodent breeding colonies
· Ordering and management of laboratory supplies, chemicals and equipment
· Management of laboratory databases
· Collaborate with and assist trainees and other investigators within the laboratory
· Miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Independently undertakes or collaborates in the planning, development, and implementation of a
laboratory, clinical, and/or field research study within a health sciences specialization. Provides dayto-day leadership in the design and execution of research protocols, and procedures within a
specified component of an integrated research study. Participates and/or assists in the development
of specific research concepts, and provides day-to-day technical and operational leadership to lower
level professionals and paraprofessionals. Develops comprehensive data analyses and summary
interpretations, and participates in the development and delivery of reports, presentations, and
manuscripts associated with research findings.
* Firm understanding of research methods, protocols, procedures, techniques, and equipment
within specified area of specialty.
* Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty.
* Ability to lead and guide technical and professional staff in the performance of research.
* Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
* Ability to analyze and evaluate empirical data and develop graphic and/or written interpretations
* Ability to develop creative solutions to complex operational research problems.
* Detailed understanding of fundamental scientific concepts and principles within area of expertise.
* Ability to utilize advanced analytical techniques and programs to develop scientific models.
* Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work
* Knowledge of SAS programming and/or other statistical software.
|Conditions of Employment|
Master's degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· Enthusiasm for contributing to, and fostering a successful research team environment
· Excellent organizational skills
· Experience with, or interest in, physiological recordings
· Experience with rodent handling
· Experience with laboratory ordering, inventory control
· Experience with database creation and management
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||one year from date of hire|
|Pay||$3,434.31-$5,151.47, DOE DOQ|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||9/3/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please include a resume/CV and cover letter detailing your suitability for the position.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.