HS Research Tech 2 - req# 11144
HS Research Tech 2
|Working Title||HS Research Tech 2|
The Department of Neurosciences seeks a highly motivated and organized individual for a Health Sciences Research Tech 2 position to join our research group studying brain and spinal cord development, and brain cancer development. The position offers research opportunity to work closely with principal investigator to design and perform experiments. The candidate will be responsible for breeding and maintaining a mouse colony, isolating genomic tail DNA from mice to be used for genotyping by PCR, managing the lab and overseeing ordering and stocking of lab supplies and inventory.
Funding available immediately through one year from date of hire; continuance beyond that date is subject to the Department's operational needs as outlined in UBPPM #3200, Employee Classifications, click here. (http://www.unm.edu/~ubppm/ubppmanual/3200.htm )
This position performs standard research protocol, under detailed and controlled research parameters, in a health sciences laboratory, clinical, and/or field research setting. Conducts a variety of standardized tests and procedures; prepares data, samples, and/or specimens, and sets up and operates standard laboratory, clinical, or field testing equipment of standard complexity. Verifies and records data, and performs preliminary manipulation of experiment and/or test results, providing basic data analyses, summaries, and interpretations.
· Breed and maintain mouse colony
· Isolate genomic tail DNA from mice for genotyping using PCR
· Overseeing, ordering and stocking laboratory supply inventories and equipment.
· Perform animal surgery and dissect brains and spinal cords for analysis.
· Design and perform experiments using immunohistochemistry, western blot, and co-immunoprecipitation assay.
· Carry out miscellaneous duties as assigned.
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
· B.S. in Biology, Neuroscience, Genetics or related fields
· Prior coursework in neuroscience, genetics, chemistry and math
· Highly motivated and organized, excellent record-keeping
· Possess molecular biology experience (cloning plasmid DNAs, mini-prep, maxi-prep, etc)
· Experience in mouse dissections, perfusions, tissue sectioning with cryostat, sliding microtome or vibratome, immunohistochemistry, or in situ hybridization
· Knowledgeable in fluorescence microscopy, confocal microscopy, and image analysis using ImageJ, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop.
· Able to work occasionally on weekends as lab needs dictate.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||one year from date of hire|
|Pay||$12.38-$18.57, DOE DOQ|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required|
|For Best Consideration Date||11/20/2019|
|Application Instructions||Include a resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and experience for the position.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.