HS Research Tech 3 - req# 6623
HS Research Tech 3
|Working Title||HS Research Tech 3|
The Steinkamp lab in the Department of Pathology is seeking to fill an HS Research Tech 3 position in a vibrant cancer biology lab. Our lab uses in vitro and in vivo cancer models to understand the role of ErbB receptors in ovarian cancer. The technician will perform standard research protocols in cellular biology and animal models under detailed and controlled research parameters in a health sciences research laboratory setting. This position is open for an experienced and creative technician in a busy, multi-faculty laboratory group. The successful applicant should have familiarity with molecular biology techniques, as well have basic microscopy skills and mastery of tissue culture techniques. This technician will also plan and implement experiments involving freshly isolated primary cells from human cancers and should be current in all training and compliance aspects related to working with material from human subjects. Creativity, good record keeping, capability to multi-task and trouble shoot, self-motivation and interpersonal skills are important criteria.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Will order supplies and work with the PI to plan a productive work flow.
2. Will perform molecular biology procedures, including PCR and plasmid preparation. Will be trained in CRISPR-mediated engineering techniques.
3. Will perform cell transfection, including expression of fluorescent proteins and characterization by flow cytometry.
4. Will be trained in biochemical techniques that support projects in the laboratory, such as SDS-PAGE and western blotting.
5. Will be trained in sophisticated cellular imaging techniques, including immunofluorescence-based techniques on state-of-the-art microscopes.
6. Will maintain stocks of buffers and essential reagents.
7. Will integrate into a busy, multi-PI laboratory to maintain good laboratory practices. Will coordinate with technicians in the group with respect to routine tasks, such as tissue culture and supervision of student employee responsible for autoclaving and dishwashing.
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||7/25/2019|
|Pay||$13.62 to $20.43 (hourly)|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||10/8/2018|
|Application Instructions||A complete application will include an uploaded resume and cover letter.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.