Open Rank-Brazilian Cultural Studies - req# 6756
Open Rank-Brazilian Cultural Studies
|Faculty Type||Open Rank|
|Hiring Department||Spanish Portuguese (704A)|
|Academic Location||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of New Mexico (UNM) invites applications for two full-time positions, one tenure-track at the rank of Assistant Professor of Portuguese; and one tenure-track as Assistant or tenured as Associate Professor of Portuguese. The appointment begins in August 2019. We seek specialists in Brazilian Cultural Studies with a wide-ranging knowledge of the field. Rank and salary commensurate with experience.
UNM's Department of Spanish and Portuguese has thriving undergraduate and graduate programs, offering a BA in Spanish or Portuguese; MA in Spanish or Portuguese; dual Spanish and Portuguese MA; and PhD in Spanish and Portuguese. Our department also collaborates extensively with UNM's Latin American and Iberian Institute. Responsibilities of the position include teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in the area of specialization as well as advanced culture and language courses, mentoring graduate students, and sharing in the rotating coordination of the Portuguese language program. The University of New Mexico is currently one of four universities that hold both the designation of Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) and Research Universities-Very High Research Activity (RU/VH).
1. PhD in either Portuguese; Brazilian Literature; Romance Languages and Literatures or the equivalent by August 2019
2. Primary specialization in Brazilian Literary or Cultural Studies
1. Demonstrated excellence or potential for excellence in research in Brazilian literary or cultural studies.
2. Evidence of expertise in one or more of the following areas, which represent current departmental strengths: Latin American Literary and Cultural Studies, Comparative Inter-American Studies, Trans-Atlantic Studies, Border Cultures, Race and Ethnicity, Popular Culture, Creative Writing, and Interdisciplinary Studies.
3. Demonstrated potential for teaching or program development in one or more of the following areas: Study Abroad in Brazil, Afro-Brazilian, Lusophone African or Continental Portuguese literature or culture, Portuguese for Spanish speakers, History of Portuguese and/or Spanish Languages.
4. Demonstrated excellence or potential for excellence in teaching.
5. Evidence of Native or near-native fluency and ability to teach in Portuguese and English.
6. A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
7. For appointment at Associate Professor, demonstrated excellence in teaching and scholarship as well as experience in leadership and peer mentorship.
|Application Instructions||A complete application consists of the following:1.Cover Letter2.CV3.Two Writing Samples of published and/or unpublished scholarly work ready for examination such as dissertations or dissertation chapters, a book or book manuscript, articles, and book chapters4.Research Statement outlining current and future scholarly agenda (1 page)5.Teaching Portfolio including 1-page teaching statement, a maximum 3 Sample Syllabi for undergraduate and graduate courses, and evidence of Excellence in Teaching and Mentorship, such as peer or supervisory evaluations, summary of comments from student evaluations, awards, etc.6.Statement of commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, student success, and working with broadly diverse communities, including relevant experience.7.Three letters of recommendation sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should submit the application materials online at the UNMJobs website by the for best consideration date of November 15, 2018. Please reference Posting Number 6756. Review of files will begin November 15, 2018 and the position will remain open until filled. |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 11/15/2018. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.