Open Rank - Lecturer Physics - req# 6492
Open Rank - Lecturer Physics
|Faculty Type||Open Rank|
|Hiring Department||Physics Astronomy (707B)|
|Academic Location||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a full-time (9 month) lecturer position in support of our introductory physics and astronomy program. Responsibilities include supervising graduate student assistants teaching in laboratory sections; teaching lower-division undergraduate physics or astronomy lecture courses; managing the maintenance and periodic modernization of the laboratory and lecture demonstration equipment and pedagogical material; and supervision of a lecture demonstration assistant. Rank and salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The expected start date is August 12, 2019, with classes beginning August 19, 2019.
· For a Lecturer II position: A Master’s Degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field completed by start date of the appointment
· For a Lecturer III position: A Doctorate in physics, astronomy, or a related field completed by start date of appointment
· Experience in teaching and/or managing lower-division undergraduate lab courses in physics, astronomy, or a related field.
· Enthusiasm and/or creative vision for pedagogical improvements in physics teaching laboratories, as evidenced by the submitted teaching statement and recommendation letters. For candidates who are ranked highly enough to merit an in-person interview, this will also be used.
· A demonstrated ability to inspire and engage students, as evidenced (indirectly) by the cover letter and (directly) by student and/or peer evaluations, which are requested in the application package. For candidates who are ranked highly enough to merit an in-person interview, this will also be used.
· Excellent communication skills and work ethic, as evidenced by letters of recommendation.
· A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
|Application Instructions||Applications must include a cover letter, CV, teaching statement, sample teaching materials, and student/peer evaluations. Candidates must also arrange for at least two confidential letters of recommendation to be sent via email to James Thomas at Lecturer@unm.edu. |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 1/5/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.