Pathologists' Assistant - req# 10788
|Working Title||Pathologists' Assistant|
Under general supervision of a pathologist, independently performs or assists in accessioning, dissection, evisceration, description, autopsy, and histologic sampling of a full range of surgical specimens. Assists faculty in the supervision and training of entry level resident physicians and fellows in pathology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs and/or assists pathologists in the accessioning, dissection, evisceration, description, autopsy and histologic sampling of a full range of anatomical specimens.
2. Supervises and trains entry level resident physicians in pathology methodology and procedures, under guidance and within protocol parameters provided by medical professional staff. May train technical staff in evisceration techniques.
3. Performs frozen sections and other intra-operative consultations, within established protocol and procedural parameters.
4. Coordinates the acquisition of tissue specimens used for research purposes.
5. Maintains a file of digital images. Directs the acquisition of high grade digital photographs.
6. Participates in the accessioning and labeling of specimens, specimen storage and disposal, and the maintenance of reagents and equipment.
7. May complete postmortem examination reports.
8. May review, interpret, and present findings.
9. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
10. May collect evidence and ensure integrity.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree from an accredited Pathologist Assistant program or in a medical or scientific field; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Office of the Medical Investigator (389A)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||10/31/2020|
|Pay||$5,449.60 (min.) to $8,174.40 (max)|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date||10/7/2019|
|Application Instructions||Please provide a cover letter and resume including education.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.