Piano Tech - req# 11316
|Working Title||Piano Tech|
UNM College of Fine Arts
Department of Music
Performs highly skilled mechanical and/or analytical duties in a lead position in the coordination and completion of projects. Work is performed under general guidelines using established procedures and evaluated on results obtained. Supervises subordinate employees.
· Responsible for executing the maintenance of piano and keyboard technological services that effectively meet the Department of Music’s needs to manage and care for an inventory of close to 100 pianos.
· Tune, voice, and regulate two concert grand pianos, studio and practice room pianos, and all other pianos in the Music Department and across Music Department premises resulting in high-quality instrument performance.
· Personal attention to tune, voice and regulate keyboards for faculty/guest artists and degree recitals.
· Provides specialized piano repair services including but not limited to: tuning, voicing, restringing, regulation, repairs, piano action refurbishing, preventative maintenance, reconditioning, rebuilding and repair of pianos as time allows.
· Respond to special and emergency piano tuning and repairs as needed in connection with recitals, concerts, productions, recordings, and other performances.
· Develop, implement, and maintain a short and long-term piano maintenance schedule for all university pianos to ensure routine and preventive maintenance is performed including diagnostics and resulting repairs and rebuilding.
· Maintain inventory of parts and supplies necessary to support maintenance needs; coordinate purchases with the department chair.
· Collaborate effectively with faculty, staff (including contract labor piano technicians) and administration to ensure piano performance quality standards are met and maintained.
· Maintains a schedule of work, including nights and weekends as needed, to meet completion dates and technical specifications of college acoustic and digital pianos. Participate in ongoing training and certification opportunities to expand and remain up to date in the area of piano tuning and maintenance.
· Responsible for maintaining an accurate and up to date database of their daily work. Supervise contract labor piano technicians.
· Maintain the workshop; care for action and hammer replacement.
· Coordinate outside contractors in the moving of pianos within the Department of Music and related venues for Department of Music purposes.
· Other duties as assigned
|Conditions of Employment|
High school diploma or GED; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Preferred QualificationsA minimum of five years of experience and training in the repair and maintenance of Steinway pianos to demonstrate the capacity to prepare concert grand pianos for faculty, students and guest artists. A suitable combination of education and experience may be substituted for minimum requirements. University level experience preferred. Piano Technicians Guild RPT level preferred. Factory Steinway training, Piano Technician's Guild or Yamaha training preferred.
|Additional Requirements||Required AttachmentsCover Letter, Professional/Personal References, Recommendation/Referral, Resume / CVPay StatementCompensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.Travel RequiredUp to 25%|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Staff Type||Regular - Full-Time|
|Term End Date|
|Pay||$13.62 - $27.24|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required|
|For Best Consideration Date||12/11/2019|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.