Systems/Network Analyst 2 - req# 7052
Systems/Network Analyst 2
|Working Title||Systems/Network Analyst 2|
The Center for Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Prevention (CHPVP) is a NIH funded center based at UNM that incorporates multidisciplinary research, analytics and population surveillance across the state of NM. We are looking for an experienced Systems/Network Analyst 2 to join our dynamic IT team. This is an exciting opportunity or an ambitious candidate to work in a field that bridges healthcare informatics with information technologies. This position is responsible for research, design, planning and implementation of all servers and related hardware, both for existing and new servers as needed. This includes determination of server requirements, presentation to management and our IT team on new or possible modifications to existing hardware, or new equipment as well as planning and scheduling purchases and upgrades and ongoing security measures as needed. The candidate must be able to setup, manage, maintain and monitor servers and related hardware for multiple servers and have excellent communication skills to inform and coordinate with our IT team, our laboratory and clinical operations as well as with the Health Sciences IT group. Responsibilities for this position also include coordination of the upgrading and updating of operating systems, applications, databases and backup systems and servers; application software installation and updating on multiple servers and multiple databases; and managing server’s internal and external users (creation, security, monitoring). Additionally, excellent documentation skills are necessary for all procedures, as the ideal candidate will update and expand on numerous standard operating procedures, including a comprehensive systems administration manual housed on a private wiki. This position also maintains networks and security in coordination with our IT Manager in support of research and operational needs and implements and manages software, encryption and program-specific clients and applications for our program desktops on an as needed basis. Strong programming skills are required to support the NM HPV Pap Registry’s research and operations as well as ability to troubleshoot systematically as problems arise. This position supports an extramural funded program and performs analysis of computer hardware and software related to budget preparation as well as develops and writes system and grant documentation. Independent troubleshooting, guidance, and training of staff on custom applications is expected as well as the desire to work on a team to complete large-scale projects. The individual may also work collaboratively to create new methods to optimize, standardize and update systems design, documentation and communications all in support of HPV and cervical cancer screening research.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Knowledge of systems, security or network analysis.
· Knowledge of relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
· Knowledge and understanding of university policy, federal and state regulations as they apply to security, privacy, intellectual property and information system management.
· Knowledge of systems integration and automation techniques and tools.
· Demonstrated skills in the design, development, implementation and testing of complex integrated network, hardware, software and system security solutions to organizational requirements.
· Skilled in implementing and maintaining inventory keeping systems and methods.
· Strong problem analysis and resolution skills as applied to the installation, maintenance, modifications and troubleshooting of network, hardware, software and system security services.
· Ability to communicate and/or develop technical documentation for capacity planning, training, service security architecture, software/hardware use, or as required by project deliverables.
· Ability to train assigned staff.
· Ability to work within a team to contribute to the ongoing development of systems manuals, install new servers, create VMs, and perform security monitoring.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Uses discretionary judgement to consult with users and/or other university departments to collect information/gather requirements for existing or proposed network, security and computing devices, server systems, multiuser applications, and/or databases including capacity planning, security, data safety and integrity, disaster recovery, and upgrade planning. Provides input regarding design and cost, coordinates tasks for the installation/maintenance of networks or systems for short- and medium range projects.
2. Participates in the development of and provides individual and/or group instruction and/or training on operating systems, relational databases security and privacy, and other applications; assists users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems.
3. Recommends solutions for multiple network, hardware, software or system security projects in support of the unit's strategic goals.
4. Uses judgment in selecting among authorized procedures or alternatives and seeks assistance when guidelines are inadequate, significant deviations are proposed, or when unanticipated problems arise.
5. Records and maintains hardware and software inventories, site and/or server licensing, and user access and security; researches and recommends hardware and software development, purchase, implementation and use.
6. Prepares detailed flow charts and diagrams outlining systems, applications, or network capabilities and processes; documents projects and writes user instructions/standard operating procedures. Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Visio a must.
7. Participates in the investigation, planning, implementation, testing, and debugging of network and/or systems hardware components and applications.
8. Plans and implements defense in-depth system security, including building firewalls, applying cryptography to network applications, managing host security, file permissions, and file system integrity, managing and implementing roles, and adding and deleting users according to business rules.
9. Troubleshoots and resolves technical issues of moderately advanced complexity and provides on-call support for network, hardware, software and/or system security services including user access and computer configuration.
10. Evaluates and tests new or modified software programs and software development procedures used to verify that programs function according to user requirements and conform to established guidelines and best practices.
11. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
12. May be responsible for administration and oversight of small to medium scale technology projects and for managing program-specific desktop and laptop encryption, clients, project-specific applications and software on an as needed basis.
13. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
|Conditions of Employment|
Bachelor's degree; at least 1 year of progressively responsible experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Higher education and/or experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
3-5 years of progressively responsible experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Preferred qualifications outlined below should be demonstrated in supporting documentation (Cover Letter, Resume, Portfolio, etc.)
· Linux/Unix: High level programming skills (shell scripting, PERL, python)
· Knowledge of RHEL (6 and 7) Security and best practices, IPTABLES, Security Hardening.
· Linux systems administration, including skill with Up2date, yum, Cron, Samba, Apache, Postfix, Rsync
· Oracle: Skill with PL/SQL, SQL, backup and recovery tools
· Other: Knowledge of encryption clients and tools (e.g. PGP), Oracle Virtual Box, VMWare, Nagios, Groundworks; Storage Area Networks (SAN)
· Web: PHP, HTML
· Effective communication, being part of a team, customer relations, and organizational skills
|Additional Requirements||Finalists should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire. |
Applicants must provide names of 3 past or present supervisors as references that the hiring official can contact.
|Campus||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Center for HPV Prevention (099A0)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||1 year from date of hire|
|Pay||$3,434.31 - $6,868.62|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||Yes|
|For Best Consideration Date|
|Application Instructions||APPLICANT: Please complete the official application; making sure to include all prior work experience and average hours worked per week. Attach your Current Resume; listing three former or current Supervisor References. Attach your Cover Letter that details how your experience matches the position as described above; including any Preferred Qualifications.|
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.